THE BOOK OF ENOCH THE PROPHET
CHAPTERS 41 thru 60
1. After this I beheld the secrets of the heavens and of paradise, 86 according to its divisions; and of human action, 87 as they weigh it there in balances. I saw the habitations of the elect, and the habitations of the holy. And there my eyes beheld all the sinners, who denied the Lord of glory, and whom they were expelling from thence, and dragging away, as they stood there; no punishment proceeding against them from the Lord of spirits.
2. There, too, my eyes beheld the secrets of the lightning and the thunder; and the secrets of the winds, how they are distributed as they blow over the earth: the secrets of the winds, of the dew, and of the clouds. There I perceived the place from which they issued forth, and became saturated with the dust of the earth.
3. There I saw the wooden 88 receptacles out of which the winds became separated, the receptacle of hail, the receptacle of snow, the receptacle of the clouds, and the cloud itself, which continued over the earth before the creation of the world.
4. I beheld also the receptacles of the moon, whence the moons 89 came, whither they proceeded, their glorious return, and how one became more splendid than another. I marked their rich progress, their unchangeable progress, their disunited and undiminished progress; their observance of a mutual fidelity by a stable oath 90; their proceeding forth before the sun, and their adherence to the path allotted them, 91 in obedience to the command of the Lord of spirits. Potent is his name for ever and for ever.
5. After this I perceived, that the path both concealed and manifest of the moon, as well as the progress of its path, was there completed by day and by night; while each, one with another, looked towards the Lord of spirits, magnifying and praising without cessation, since praise to them is rest; for in the splendid sun there is a frequent conversion to blessing and to malediction.
6. The course of the moon’s path to the righteous is light, but to sinners it is darkness; in the name of the Lord of spirits, who created a division between light and darkness, and, separating the spirits of men, strengthened the spirits of the righteous in the name of his own righteousness.
7. Nor does the angel prevent this, neither is he endowed with the power of preventing it; for the Judge beholds them all, and judges them all in his own presence.
1. Wisdom found not a place on earth where she could inhabit; her dwelling therefore is in heaven.
2. Wisdom went forth to dwell among the sons of men, but she obtained not an habitation. Wisdom returned to her place, and seated herself in the midst of the angels. But iniquity went forth after her return, who unwillingly found an habitation, and resided among them, as rain in the desert, and as a dew in a thirsty land.
1. I beheld another splendour, and the stars of heaven. I observed that he called them all by their respective names, and that they heard. In a righteous balance I saw that he weighed out with their light the amplitude of their places, and the day of their appearance, 92 and their conversion. Splendour produced splendour; and their conversion was into the number of the angels, and of the faithful.
2. Then I inquired of the angel, who proceeded with me, and explained to me secret things, What their names were. He answered, A similitude of those has the Lord of spirits shown thee. They are names of the righteous who dwell upon earth, and who believe in the name of the Lord of spirits for ever and for ever.
Another thing also I saw respecting splendour; that it rises out of the stars, and becomes splendour; being incapable of forsaking them.
CHAPTER 45 [SECTION 7 93]
1. Parable the second, respecting these who deny 94 the name of the habitation of the holy ones, and of the Lord of spirits.
2. Heaven they shall not ascend, nor shall they come on the earth. This shall be the portion of sinners, who deny the name of the Lord of spirits, and who are thus reserved for the day of punishment and of affliction.
3. In that day shall the Elect One sit upon a throne of glory; and shall choose their conditions and countless habitations (while their spirits within them shall be strengthened, when they behold my Elect One), shall choose them for those who have fled for protection to my holy and glorious name.
4. In that day I will cause my Elect One to dwell in the midst of them; will change the face of heaven; will bless it, and illuminate it for ever.
5. I will also change the face of the earth; will bless it; and cause those whom I have elected to dwell upon it. But those who have committed sin and iniquity shall not inhabit it, 95 for I have marked their proceedings. 96 My righteous ones will I satisfy with peace, placing them before me; but the condemnation of sinners shall draw near, that I may destroy them from the face of the earth.
1. There I beheld the Ancient of days, 97 whose head was like white wool, and with him another, whose countenance resembled that of man. His countenance was full of grace, like that of one of the holy angels. Then I inquired of one of the angels, 98 who went with me, and who showed me every secret thing, concerning this Son of man; who he was; whence he was; and why he accompanied the Ancient of days.
2. He answered and said to me, This is the Son of man, to whom righteousness belongs; with whom righteousness has dwelt; and who will reveal all the treasures of that which is concealed: for the Lord of spirits has chosen him; and his portion has surpassed 99 all before the Lord of spirits in everlasting uprightness.
3. This Son of man, whom thou beholdest, shall raise up kings and the mighty from their couches, and the powerful from their thrones; shall loosen the bridles of the powerful, and break in pieces the teeth of sinners.
4. He shall hurl kings from their thrones and their dominions; because they will not exalt and praise him, nor humble themselves before him, by whom 100 their kingdoms were granted to them. The countenance likewise of the mighty shall He cast down, filling them with confusion. Darkness shall be their habitation, and worms shall be their bed; nor from that their bed shall they hope to be again raised, because they exalted not the name of the Lord of spirits.
5. They shall condemn the stars of heaven, shall lift up their hands against the Most High, shall tread upon and inhabit the earth, exhibiting all their works of iniquity, even their works of iniquity. Their strength shall be in their riches, and their faith in the gods whom they have formed with their own hands. They shall deny the name of the Lord of spirits, and shall expel him from the temples, in which they assemble;
6. And with him the faithful, who suffer in the name of the Lord of spirits.
1. In that day the prayer of the holy and the righteous, and the blood of the righteous, shall ascend from the earth into the presence of the Lord of spirits.
2. In that day shall the holy ones assemble, who dwell above the heavens, and with united voice petition, supplicate, praise, laud, and bless the name of the Lord of spirits, on account of the blood of the righteous which has been shed; that the prayer of the righteous may not be intermitted before the Lord of spirits; that for them he would execute judgment; and that his patience may not endure for ever.
3. At that time I beheld the Ancient of days, while he sat upon the throne of his glory, while the book of the living was opened in his presence, and while all the powers which were above the heavens stood around and before him.
4. Then were the hearts of the saints full of joy, because the consummation 101 of righteousness was arrived, the supplication of the saints heard, and the blood of the righteous appreciated by the Lord of spirits.
1. In that place I beheld a fountain of righteousness, which never failed, encircled by many springs of wisdom. Of these all the thirsty drank, and were filled with wisdom, having their habitation with the righteous, the elect, and the holy.
2. In that hour was this Son of man invoked before the Lord of spirits, and his name in the presence of the Ancient of days.
3. Before the sun and the signs were created, before the stars of heaven were formed, his name was invoked in the presence of the Lord of spirits. A support shall he be for the righteous and the holy to lean upon, without falling; and he shall be the light of nations.
4. He shall be the hope of those whose hearts are troubled. All, who dwell on earth, shall fall down and worship before him; shall bless and glorify him, and sing praises to the name of the Lord of spirits.
5. Therefore the Elect and the Concealed One existed in his presence, before the world was created, and for ever.
6. In his presence he existed, and has revealed to the saints and to the righteous the wisdom of the Lord of spirits; for he has preserved the lot of the righteous, because they have hated and rejected this world of iniquity, and have detested all its works and ways, in the name of the Lord of spirits.
7. For in his name shall they be preserved; and his will shall be their life. In those days shall the kings of the earth and the mighty men, who have gained the world by their achievements, 102 become humble in countenance.
8. For in the day of their anxiety and trouble their souls shall not be saved; and they shall be in subjection to 103 those whom I have chosen.
9. I will cast them like hay into the fire, and like lead into the water. Thus shall they burn in the presence of the righteous, and sink in the presence of the holy; nor shall a tenth part of them be found.
10. But in the day of their trouble, the world shall obtain tranquillity. 104
11. In his presence shall they fall, and not be raised up again; nor shall there be any one to take them out of his hands, and to lift them up: for they have denied the Lord of spirits, and his Messiah. The name of the Lord of spirits shall be blessed.
CHAPTER 48 105
1. Wisdom is poured forth like water, and glory fails not before him for ever and ever; for potent is he in all the secrets of righteousness.
2. But iniquity passes away like a shadow, and possesses not a fixed station: for the Elect One stands before the Lord of spirits; and his glory is for ever and ever; and his power from generation to generation.
3. With him dwells the spirit of intellectual wisdom, the spirit of instruction and of power, and the spirit of those who sleep in righteousness; he shall judge secret things.
4. Nor shall any be able to utter a single word before him; for the Elect One is in the presence of the Lord of spirits, according to his own pleasure.
1. In those days the saints and the chosen shall undergo a change. The light of day shall rest upon them; and the splendour and glory of the saints shall be changed.
2. In the day of trouble evil shall be heaped up upon sinners; but the righteous shall triumph in the name of the Lord of spirits.
3. Others shall be made to see, that they must repent, and forsake the works of their hands; and that glory awaits them not in the presence of the Lord of spirits; yet that by his name they may be saved. The Lord of spirits will have compassion on them: for great is his mercy; and righteousness is in his judgment, and in the presence of his glory; nor in his judgment shall iniquity stand. He who repents not before him shall perish.
4. Henceforward I will not have mercy on them, saith the Lord of spirits.
1. In those days shall the earth deliver up from her womb, and hell deliver up from hers, that which it has received; and destruction shall restore that which it owes.
2. He shall select the righteous and holy from among them; for the day of their salvation has approached.
3. And in those days shall the Elect One sit upon his throne, while every secret of intellectual wisdom shall proceed from his mouth; for the Lord of spirits has gifted and glorified him.
4. In those days the mountains shall skip like rams, and the hills shall leap like young sheep 106 satiated with milk; and all the righteous shall become angels in heaven.
5. Their countenance shall be bright with joy; for in those days shall the Elect One be exalted. The earth shall rejoice; the righteous shall inhabit it, and the elect possess it. 107
1. After that period, in the place where I had seen every secret sight, I was snatched up in a whirlwind, and carried off westwards.
2. There my eyes beheld the secrets of heaven, and all which existed on earth; a mountain of iron, a mountain of copper, 108 a mountain of silver, a mountain of gold, a mountain of fluid metal, and a mountain of lead.
3. And I inquired of the angel who went with me, saying, What are these things, which in secret I behold?
4. He said, All these things which thou beholdest shall be for the dominion of the Messiah, that he may command, and be powerful upon earth.
5. And that angel of peace answered me, saying, Wait but a short time, and thou shalt understand, and every secret thing shall be revealed to thee, which the Lord of spirits has decreed. Those mountains which thou hast seen, the mountain of iron, the mountain of copper, the mountain of silver, the mountain of gold, the mountain of fluid metal, and the mountain of lead, all these in the presence of the Elect One shall be like a honeycomb before the fire, and like water descending from above upon these mountains; and shall become debilitated before his feet.
6. In those days men 109 shall not be saved by gold and by silver.
7. Nor shall they have it in their power to secure themselves, and to fly.
8. There shall be neither iron for war, nor a coat of mail for the breast.
9. Copper shall be useless; useless also that which neither rusts nor consumes away; and lead shall not be coveted.
10. All these things shall be rejected, and perish from off the earth, when the Elect One shall appear in the presence of the Lord of spirits.
1. There my eyes beheld a deep valley; and wide was its entrance.
2. All who dwell on land, on the sea, and in islands, shall bring to it gifts, presents, and offerings; yet that deep valley shall not be full. Their hands shall commit iniquity. Whatsoever they produce by labour, the sinners shall devour with crime. But they shall perish front the face of the Lord of spirits, and from the face of his earth. They shall stand up, and shall not fail for ever and ever.
3. I beheld the angels of punishment, who were dwelling there, and preparing every instrument of Satan.
4. Then I inquired of the angel of peace, who proceeded with me, for whom those instruments were preparing.
5. He said, These they are preparing for the kings and powerful ones of the earth, that thus 110 they may perish.
6. After which the righteous and chosen house of his congregation shall appear, thenceforward unchangeable, in the name of the Lord of spirits.
7. Nor shall those mountains exist in his presence, as the earth and the hills, as the fountains of water exist. And the righteous shall be relieved from the vexation of sinners.
1. Then I looked and turned myself to another part of the earth, where I beheld a deep valley burning with fire.
2. To this valley they brought monarchs and the mighty.
3. And there my eyes beheld the instruments which they were making, fetters of iron without weight. 111
4. Then I inquired of the angel of peace, who proceeded with me, saying, For whom are these fetters and instruments prepared?
5. He replied, These are prepared for the host of Azazeel, that they may be delivered over and adjudged to the lowest condemnation; and that their angels may be overwhelmed with hurled stones, as the Lord of’ spirits has commanded.
6. Michael and Gabriel, Raphael and Phanuel shall be strengthened in that day, and shall then cast them into a furnace of blazing fire, that the Lord of spirits may be avenged of them for their crimes; because they became ministers of Satan, and seduced those who dwell upon earth.
7. In those days shall punishment go forth from the Lord of spirits; and the receptacles of water which are above the heavens shall be opened, and the fountains likewise, which are under the heavens and under the earth.
8. All the waters, which are in the heavens and above them, shall be mixed together.
9. The water which is above heaven shall be the agent; 112
10. And the water which is under the earth shall be the recipient 113: and all shall be destroyed who dwell upon earth, and who dwell under the extremities of heaven.
11. By these means shall they understand the iniquity which they have committed on earth: and by these means shall they perish.
1. Afterwards the Ancient of days repented, and said, In vain have I destroyed all the inhabitants of the earth.
2. And he sware by his great name, saying, Henceforwards I will not act thus towards all those who dwell upon earth.
3. But I will place a sign in the heavens; 114 and it shall be a faithful witness 115 between me and them for ever, as long as the days of heaven and earth last upon the earth.
4. Afterwards, according to this my decree, when I shall be disposed to seize them beforehand, by the instrumentality of angels, in the day of affliction and trouble, my wrath and my punishment shall remain upon them, my punishment and my wrath, saith God the Lord of spirits.
5. O ye kings, O ye mighty, who inhabit the world, you shall behold my Elect One, sitting upon the throne of my glory. And he shall judge Azazeel, all his associates, and all his hosts, in the name of the Lord of spirits.
6. There likewise I beheld hosts of angels who were moving in punishment, confined in a net-work of iron and brass. Then I inquired of the angel of peace, who proceeded with me, To whom those under confinement were going.
7. He said, To each of their elect and their beloved, that they may be cast into the fountains and deep recesses of the valley.
8. And that valley shall be filled with their elect and beloved; the days of whose life shall be consumed, but the days of their error shall be innumerable.
9. Then shall princes combine together, and conspire. The chiefs of the east, among the Parthians and Medes, shall remove kings, in whom a spirit of perturbation shall enter. They shall hurl them from their thrones, springing as lions from their dens, and like famished wolves into the midst of the flock.
10. They shall go up, and tread upon the land of their elect. The land of their elect shall be before them. The threshing-floor, the path, and the city of my righteous people shall impede the progress of their horses. They shall rise up to destroy each other; their right hand shall be strengthened; nor shall a man acknowledge his friend or his brother;
11. Nor the son his father and his mother; until the number of the dead bodies shall be completed, by their death and punishment. Neither shall this take place without cause.
12. In those days shall the mouth of hell be opened, into which they shall be immerged; hell shall destroy and swallow up sinners from the face of the elect.
1. After this I beheld another army of chariots, with men riding in them.
2. And they came upon the wind from the east, from the west, and from the south. 116
3. The sound of the noise of their chariots was heard.
4. And when that agitation took place, the saints out of heaven perceived it; the pillar of the earth shook from its foundation; and the sound was heard from the extremities of the earth unto the extremities of heaven at the same time.
5. Then they all fell down, and worshipped the Lord of spirits.
6. This is the end of the second parable.
CHAPTER 56 [SECTION 9 117]
1. I now began to utter the third parable, concerning the saints and the elect.
2. Blessed are ye, O saints and elect, for glorious is your lot.
3. The saints shall exist in the light of the sun, and the elect in the light of everlasting life, the days of whose life shall never terminate; nor shall the days of the saints be numbered, who seek for light, and obtain righteousness with the Lord of spirits.
4. Peace be to the saints with the Lord of the world.
5. Henceforward shall the saints be told to seek in heaven the secrets of righteousness, the portion of faith; for like the sun has it arisen upon the earth, while darkness has passed away. There shall be light interminable: 118 nor shall they enter upon the enumeration of time; for darkness shall be previously destroyed, and light shall increase before the Lord of spirits; before the Lord of spirits shall the light of uprightness increase for ever.
1. In those days my eyes beheld the secrets of the lightnings and the splendours, and the judgment belonging to them.
2. They lighten for a blessing and for a curse, according to the will of the Lord of spirits.
3. And there I saw the secrets of the thunder, when it rattles 119 above in heaven, and its sound is heard.
4. The habitations also of the earth were shown to me. The sound of the thunder is for peace and for blessing, as well as for a curse, according to the word of the Lord of spirits.
5. Afterwards every secret of the splendours and of the lightnings was seen by me. For blessing and for fertility they lighten.
CHAPTER 58 120 [SECTION 10 121]
1. In the five hundredth year, and in the seventh month, on the fourteenth day of the month, of the lifetime of Enoch, in that parable, I saw that the heaven of heavens shook; that it shook violently; and that the powers of the Most High, and the angels, thousands of thousands, and myriads of myriads, were agitated with great agitation. And when I looked, the Ancient of days was sitting on the throne of his glory, while the angels and saints were standing around him. A great trembling came upon me, and terror seized me. My loins were bowed down and loosened; my reins were dissolved; and I fell upon my face. The holy Michael, another holy angel, one of the holy ones, was sent, who raised me up.
2. And when he raised me, my spirit returned; for I was incapable of enduring this vision of violence, its agitation, and the concussion of heaven.
3. Then holy Michael said to me, Wherefore art thou disturbed at this vision?
4. Hitherto has existed the day of mercy; and he has been merciful and longsuffering towards all who dwell upon the earth.
5. But when the time shall come, then shall the power, the punishment, and the judgment take place, which the Lord of spirits has prepared for those who prostrate themselves to the judgment of righteousness, for those who abjure that judgment, and for those who take his name in vain.
6. That day has been prepared for the elect as a day of covenant; and for sinners as a day of inquisition.
7. In that day shall be distributed for food two monsters; a female monster, whose name is Leviathan, dwelling in the depths of the sea, above the springs of waters;
S. And a male monster, whose name is Behemoth; which possesses, moving on his breast, the invisible wilderness.
9. His name was Dendayen in the east of the garden, where the elect and the righteous will dwell; where he received it from my ancestor, who was man, from Adam the first of men, whom the Lord of spirits made.
10. Then I asked of another angel to show me the power of those monsters, how they became separated on the same day, one being in the depths of the sea, and one in the dry desert.
11. And he said, Thou, son of man, art here desirous of understanding secret things.
12. 122 And the angel of peace, who was with me, said, These two monsters are by the power of God prepared to become food, that the punishment of God may not be in vain.
13. Then shall children be slain with their mothers, and sons with their fathers.
14. And when the punishment of the Lord of spirits shall continue, upon them shall it continue, that the punishment of the Lord of spirits may not take place in vain. After that, judgment shall exist with mercy and longsuffering.
1. Then another angel, who proceeded with me, spoke to me;
2. And showed me the first and last secrets in heaven above, and in the depths of the earth:
3. In the extremities of heaven, and in the foundations of it, and in the receptacle of the winds.
4. He showed me how their spirits were divided; how they were balanced; and how both the springs and the winds were numbered according to the force of their spirit.
5. He showed me the power of the moon’s light, that its power is a just one; as well as the divisions of the stars, according to their respective names;
6. That every division is divided; that the lightning flashes;
7. That its troops 123 immediately obey; and that a cessation takes place during thunder in continuance of its sound. Nor are the thunder and the lightning separated; neither do both of them move with one spirit; yet are they not separated.
8. For when the lightning lightens, the thunder sounds, and the spirit at a proper period pauses, making an equal division between them; for the receptacle, upon which their periods depend, is loose as sand. 124 Each of them at a proper season is restrained with a bridle; and turned by the power of the spirit, which thus propels them according to the spacious extent of the earth.
9. The spirit likewise of the sea is potent and strong; and as a strong power causes it to ebb, 125 so is it driven forwards, and scattered against the mountains of the earth. The spirit of the frost has its angel; in the spirit of hail there is a good angel; the spirit of snow ceases in its strength, and a solitary spirit is in it, which ascends from it like vapour, and is called refrigeration.
10. The spirit also of mist dwells with them in their receptacle; but it has a receptacle to itself; for its progress is in splendour,
11. In light, and in darkness, in winter and in summer. It receptacle is bright, and an angel is in it.
12. The spirit of dew has its abode in the extremities of heaven, in connection with the receptacle of rain; and its progress is in winter and in summer. The cloud produced by it, and the cloud of the mist, become united; one gives to the other; and when the spirit of rain is in motion from its receptacle, angels come, and opening its receptacle, bring it forth.
13. When likewise it is sprinkled over all the earth, it forms an union with every kind of water on the ground; for the waters remain on the ground, because they afford nourishment to the earth from the Most High, who is in heaven.
14. Upon this account therefore there is a regulation in the quantity of rain, 126 which the angels receive.
15. These things I saw; all of them, even paradise. 127
1. In those days I beheld long ropes given to those angels; who took to their wings, and fled, advancing towards the north.
2. And I inquired of the angel, saying, Wherefore have they taken those long ropes, and gone forth? He said, They are gone forth to measure.
3. The angel, who proceeded with me, said, These are the measures of the righteous; and cords shall the righteous bring, that they may trust in 128 the name of the Lord of spirits for ever and ever.
4. The elect shall begin to dwell with the elect.
5. And these are the measures which shall be given to faith, and which shall strengthen the words of righteousness.
6. These measures shall reveal all the secrets in the depth of the earth.
7. And it shall be, that those who have been destroyed in the desert, and who have been devoured by the fish of the sea, and by wild beasts, shall return, and trust in 129 the day of the Elect One; for none shall perish in the presence of the Lord of spirits, nor shall any be capable of perishing.
8. Then they received the commandment, all who were in the heavens above; to whom a combined power, voice, and splendour, like fire, were given.
9. And first, with their voice, they blessed him, they exalted him, they glorified him with wisdom, and ascribed to him wisdom with the word, and with the breath of life.
10. Then the Lord of spirits seated upon the throne of his glory the Elect One;
11. Who shall judge all the works of the holy, in heaven above, and in a balance shall he weigh their actions. And when he shall lift up his countenance to judge their secret ways in the word of the name of the Lord of spirits, and their progress in the path of the righteous judgment of God most high;
12. They shall all speak with united voice; and bless, glorify, exalt, and praise, in the name of the Lord of spirits.
13. He shall call to every power of the heavens, to all the holy above, and to the power of God. The Cherubim, the Seraphim, and the Ophanin, all the angels of power, and all the angels of the Lords, namely, of the Elect One, and of the other Power, who was upon earth over the water on that day,
14. Shall raise their united voice; shall bless, glorify, praise, and exalt with the spirit of faith, with the spirit of wisdom and patience, with the spirit of mercy, with the spirit of judgment and peace, and with the spirit of benevolence; all shall say with united voice: Blessed is He; and the name of the Lord of spirits shall be blessed for ever and for ever; all, who sleep not, shall bless it in heaven above.
15. All the holy in heaven shall bless it; all the elect who dwell in the garden of life; and every spirit of light, who is capable of blessing, glorifying, exalting, and praising thy holy name; and every mortal man, 130 more than the powers of heaven, shall glorify and bless thy name for ever and ever.
16. For great is the mercy of the Lord of spirits; long-suffering is he; and all his works, all his power, great as are the things which he has done, has he revealed to the saints and to the elect, in the name of the Lord of spirits.
86 the kingdom or paradise.
87 the work or labour of man.
88 of woods.
90 by an oath to which they adhered.
91 to their path.
92 of their existing.
93 In the Paris MS. it is section 8. In the Bodleian MS. section 7.
94 In the Bodleian MS. there seems here an evident omission. This omission is supplied in the Paris MS. I have followed the latter.
95 tread upon it.
96 for I have seen them.
97 The Chief or Head of days, Dan. 7:9.
98 The words, Then I inquired of one of the angels, are omitted in the Bodleian MS. They occur in the Paris MS.
100 from whence.
101 the number.
102 by the work of their own hands.
103 in the hand of.
104 rest shall be on earth.
105 Chap. 48 occurs twice.
106 Psalm 114:4.
107 go and walk upon it.
108 nummus minutissimus. Obolus.
110 by this.
111 in which there was not weight.
114 Gen. 9:12. “I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth.”
115 faith, or fidelity.
116 from the midst of the day. The army alluded to was probably Roman.
117 Paris MS.
118 which cannot be numbered.
119 it is grinding, as in a mortar.
120 There is no chap. 58 in the MS. I have therefore divided chap. 59 into two parts, denominating this first part chap. 58.
121 Paris MS.
122 These last three verses, viz. 12, 13, 14, are placed in both MSS. at the end of chap. 59; but they so evidently belong to this account of the Leviathan and Behemoth, that I have ventured to insert them here.
123 Their host.
124 the receptacle of their times is what sand is.
125 turns it back with a bridle.
126 a measure in the rain.
127 even to the garden of the righteous.
128 lean upon.
129 lean upon.
130 all of flesh.